2011 came and flew by but it has been a great year. It’s always interesting to see cosmetics giant constantly putting their best foot forward to come up with innovative products that merges science and technology together. 10 out of 10 companies will say that their products are the best, leaving us, consumers to find out. I am very glad to have explored many products in the past year and hope I will have the energy to keep up and of course, spare cash to continue doing so.
I wanted to do a similar post last year for 2010 but I didn’t have time. This year, I have Best Of 2011 – The Beauty Edition for you – filled with products I have enjoyed in 2011. Some of them are new, some are products I fell in love with again and some are products I have been liking throughout the year.
Spent most of today taking pictures, going through my drawers to select the items and drafting this post because it is quite a difficult task, honestly. A lot of thinking and refreshing of memory involved.
I hope you like the following contents. I have also inserted links to relevant posts such as reviews, swatches and looks which you might have missed. If you spot anything that haven’t been reviewed (many actually) which you would like to be reviewed in the future, please leave a comment at the bottom of this post and I shall try my best to review them.
I feel that by applying a makeup primer prior to foundation can create a more flawless finish. Some makeup primers help foundation last longer and look fresh throughout the day. There are plenty of makeup primers available, some help reduce the appearance of lines, pores and some help even out skin tone. I have different ones for different purposes and the following five are the ones I reach out for most often.
- Shu Uemura Stage Performer Instant-Glow Immediate Radiance Skin Perfecting Cream
Help moisturizer my skin and give it a natural glow
- Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mouse SPF 30 PA+++
Help my foundation last longer and help in controlling oil around my T-zone
- Make Up For Ever HD Primer #2
Help reduce the redness on my face especially around my nose, cheeks and chin
- Lancôme La Base Pro Perfecting Makeup Primer Smoothing Effect Oil-Free
Help smooth and even out my skin’s texture
- Chanel Le Blanc de Chanel Sheer Illuminating Base
Help to create a more radiant finish
I love foundations and if possible, I want to try every foundation in the market but we all know it’s impossible. Almost every season, brands roll out their new and improved versions. It’s weird how much I grew to love liquid and cream foundations in the past 5 years. I only wear compact foundations in the past because it saves time and space. But liquid and cream foundations do create a more flawless appearance and has greater coverage, some even have better benefits.
A little habit of mine, I always pair foundation with loose powder or powder foundation (use a brush instead of the sponge for a lighter and more natural finish) from the same brand. I feel that this helps achieve an even more flawless appearance.
If you are interested, you can find the most updated version of my foundation shades here.
- Chanel Perfection Lumiére Long-Wear Flawless Fluid Makeup SPF 10
One of the newest foundations available and I am loving it. It’s like my skin but better, feels light and looks natural even with a medium coverage. Evens out my skin tone and the best part is, the finish. It has the loveliest finish, almost matte but with a hint of glow peeping through. It’s incredible and it lasts like no other. Although most people would skip setting this foundation with powder, I still have the habit of lightly dusting a little Vitalumiére Éclat over the T-zone.
- Clarins Extra Firming Foundation SPF 15
Many thanks to Sophia, I got to try this foundation. It smells lovely and the texture is smooth, extremely blendable. It’s my go-to foundation when I can’t think of what to wear. What I love about this foundation is, it’s mistake proof, I never had to worry about caking or if it looks unnatural. I pair it with Hydra-Luminous Flawless Powder Foundation.
- Shu Uemura Illuminating Moisture Fluid Foundation
A foundation that I turn to when I have dry skin. It helps moisturize and cover-up my dry spots. It feels very comfortable and light on the skin. I like to pair this foundation with Face Powder Matte to reduce the dewy-ness.
- Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long-Lasting Foundation SPF 15 PA++
My no makeup makeup foundation. Extremely light and natural, not too sure about it being long-lasting but it does its job well. I like pairing this foundation with Sheer Finish Pressed Powder.
- Clé de Peau BEAUTÉ Silky Cream Foundation
I have three foundations from this brand and I like the Silky Cream Foundation the most. A little goes a long, long way. It moisturizes and give my skin a wake-up call. Although the texture is light, it provides medium coverage, enough to conceal my spots and redness. And I always pair it with their fabulous Translucent Loose Powder.
I can live without bronzers or even shades to contour my face but I don’t know what I will do without highlighters. I have purchased many highlighters from the holiday collections but I have not used them enough to conclude my love for some yet. The list of five highlighters below are the ones that have followed me through thick and thin in 2011 except for one.
I usually apply highlighters along my cheek bones, cupid’s bow, chin and in between my brows. I don’t apply any on my nose because I have an oily T-zone. I also like to apply some highlighter to the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them up. And on several occasions, I use up to three different highlighters for varies parts of the face.
- Dior Diorskin Nude Glow First Light Healthy Glow Summer Powder
- MAC Lightscapade Mineralize Skinfinish
- Shu Uemura Pleasure Rose Lustrous Glow Powder
- Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Powder
- Benefit Powderflage Light-Diffusing Powder Concealer for under eyes and face
Blushers kind of pull the whole look together sometimes and I usually try to match my lip colour to my blush – from the same colour family. There are many cheek products in the market, you name it – from cream, liquid, gel, pressed powder to loose powder. I still prefer pressed powder blushers although I love the way a cream blusher can look – I tend to powder my face too quickly before I have the chance to apply a cream blush unless I put the cream blush right in front of me.
- Benefit Bella Bamba
- Givenchy Blooming Fuchsias
- Chanel Rose Pétale, Rose Écrin and In Love
- NARS Amour, Gilda and Super Orgasm
- Illamasqua Kiss, Rumour and Hussy
One can never have too many eyeshadows as eyes are the windows to the soul – we should always try to doll up our eyes even without using eyeshadows. 2011 has been a crazy year for eyeshadows – many brands came out with interesting textures and consistency, from Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill to Chanel Illusion D’ombre to Shiseido Shimmering Cream Eye Color and YSL Pure Chromatics.
Although I don’t apply eyeshadows every day, I love them. It glams up for an occasion instantly and with the right colours, your eyes will shine like stars.
- Shiseido Shimmering Cream Eye Color in Purple Dawn and Techno Gold
- Giorgio Armani Eyes To Kill Silk Eyeshadow in Blast Of Blue, Purpura and Khaki Pulse
- Lunasol Three-Dimensional Eyes in Cool Beige and Ocean Scene Eyes in Shelly Ocean
- YSL Pure Chromatics 4 Wet & Dry Eyeshadows in #3 and #6
- Dior 5-Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Crush Glow and Sunset Café
- Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Topkapi, Mystic Eyes, Spices and Prélude
- Inglot Eyeshadow in P423, AMC11, M388, P419, M377 and M336
- NARS Duo Eyeshadow in Earth Angel, Grand Palais and Rajasthan
- Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow and Mould
- Bobbi Brown Black Ruby Sparkle Eye Palette (Look one and two)
- Ardell False Eyelashes 120 Demi Black, Demi Wispies Black, 118 Black and Wispies
- Johnson & Johnson 1•Day ACUVUE® DEFINE™ in Natural Shine and Accent Style
One can never have too many lip products either because a look instantly changes once the lip colour changes. It’s the easiest way to switch from day to night and from one occasion to another. As you may have noticed, I am not a huge fan of lip glosses and lip pencils. I love lipsticks that are creamy, opaque or semi-opaque and hydrating but feels light.
- Dior Rouge Dior in Rose Pisanelle, Or Étoilé and Prune Fantastique
- Dior Sérum de Rouge in Radiant Pink, Smoky Pink and Soft Pink
- Dior Addict Ultra-Gloss in Mischievous Rosewood, Tailored Mauve and Trianon Silver
- Burberry Lip Cover in Antique Rose and Nude Rose
- Guerlain Rouge Automatique in Champs-Elysees and Flirt d’un Jour
- Clarins Rouge Prodige in Passion Rose
- Shiseido Shimmering Rouge in Iron Maiden and Lounge
- Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Supreme Shine in SS PK 340 and SS BG 957
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Red Square, Dolce Vita and Cruella
- Chanel Rouge Coco in Mademoiselle, Chintz and Jersey Rose
Like my lipsticks, I like nail polishes that are creamy and opaque. Some nail colours are meant to be sheer but it feels weird to me when I see my nail line peeping through. I love bold, loud and sharp nail colours but when I want something a little more understated, I go for rosy nudes or dusty roses. The following are my favourites last year.
- Chanel Rose Caché
- Chanel Blue Boy
- Chanel Graphite
- Dior Aloha
- Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe
- Lunasol Shiny Gold
- Estée Lauder Pure Red
- Illamasqua Throb
- MECCA Cosmetica Timandra
- Rescue Beauty Lounge Grunge
YOUTUBE MAKEUP GURUS
Apart from products I have enjoyed using in 2011, there are several YouTube makeup gurus I love watching. The following channels are filled with information, tips and tricks, inspiration and creativity. If you have not watched them before, it’s never too late to start.
Lisa has great quality videos, always clean and clear. She also provides detail explanations to the looks she creates and the looks featured on her channel are usually very simple, chic and wearable. Occasionally, she will feature runway looks like the red eyeshadow look – I love it and couldn’t help but did one too, here.
Whenever I feel like playing with colours, Leesha has everything covered. I like the looks she creates for both Wearable Wednesday and Fierce Friday. Her colour combinations are always so beautiful.
Have been watching their videos for well over 2 years. I love the fact that this channel features very individual person. Videos by the sisters have always been very helpful, skillful and interesting to watch with a combination of runway, creative and artistic, party and everyday looks.
I love Nikkie’s humour, she is amazing and I always feel very happy watching her. Her videos features many celebrities inspired looks from covers of the magazines, music videos and TV shows. I also love the variety of looks she creates, anything from a neutral lip to bright, bold lips.
Goss Makeup Artist
Although he doesn’t creates overall looks, I love this channel. His videos are always short and straight to the point. I have learnt a lot from his videos featuring varies expects of makeup application.
No wonder it took my almost the entire day to draft this post, it’s filled with almost 2000 words.
I totally left skincare out from this post because I will be changing my skincare routine soon – I kind of feel that it’s time to re-look into my skincare products as I have also ran out of some products. Once I have that sorted, I will post an update. For those we are interested, you can find my current skincare routine here.
What are your favourite products of 2011? Have you written all about them – if so, please leave the link below, I would love to read.
To round up and conclude this entry, I think one can never have too much makeup.
Thank you for reading.