Happy Saturday everyone, it’s bright and sunny here in Singapore today, and I bring you A Pop Of Emerald for this month’s issue of Femme Boulevard.
Inspired by the look Dick Page created for Michael Kors during New York Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2013 – I went for a solid and graphical line positioned to float dramatically above the lids. In this look, I try to re-create what you see on the runway but instead of bold, primary hues like bright green and blue – I went for emerald, pantone colour of the year.
With a deeper, darker hue like emerald, I think this look is pretty wearable – what do you think?
Remember to check out what the other Femme Boulevard ladies did this month – visit Lily and Teri’s website here and here. Hope you like this month’s look, don’t forget to let me know your thoughts below.
I kept my face as matte as possible like what Dick Page did and Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation does the job perfectly. Further conceal where needed to create the perfect canvas.
Using mainly eyeliners for this look and the Urban Decay NAKED Basics palette (reviewed here) for brows, keep brows natural because the focus is on the emerald line.
For floating line above the lids, you may want to give it a few trials to get the position right before drawing the actual line with an eyeliner. My spacing is a little less dramatic – I used my double eye lids as a guideline. And I drew the graphic line above them (with my eyes open, looking straight).
I want to achieve a line that’s merely visible when my eyes are opened, I only want the ends to show when I look straight. But when I blink or close my eyes, I want a solid arch.
- Use concealer to even out skin tone on the lids and set with loose powder – I used Foxy because it’s very close to my skin tone.
- I mixed and blended Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow in 8E Matte Green (reviewed here) with a few drops of Inglot Duraline on a palette. This creates a nice paste for my graphic liner. I used MAC 209 to draw the “floating” line above the lids. I think gel liner works perfectly for this look – and if you can, try to find one that is long-lasting, smudge-proof and budge-proof.
- Make sure the start of this line is as fine as possible and gradually thickens.
- Use a white eyeliner to fill in lids below the graphic line. Blend and I applied Venus to brighten up the area – this will make my double eye lids seem more pronounced.
- Finish the graphic line with a touch of green eyeshadow over – it’s important to make sure this line stays in place.
- Use a brown eyeliner to line outer corners of lower lash line.
- Apply mascara to lower lash line.
- Tight line upper lash line with a black eyeliner
- Apply mascara and false eyelashes if needed – I went for a pair of natural false eyelashes to add some extra volume and length.
I skipped using a blusher for this look, instead, I sculpted my face with bronzer and highlighted my cheek bones with the Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color in WT 905. I find contouring and highlighting somewhat completes this look because there’s so little going on on the eyes. Without contouring and highlighting, this look may be too flat to carry off.
Finish off with very natural lips.
I had a lot of fun creating this look. A little challenging at first because finding placement for the line can be quite a task. If it’s too close to the tear ducts, it defeats the whole “floating” purpose and if the line is too far up, my eyes look weird.
Spend a little more time finding where the line should be and the rest is a piece of cake.
Thank you for looking.
RMK Creamy Polished Base in 00
Shiseido Radiant Lifting Foundation
MAQuillAGE Aura Veil Compact
Urban Decay NAKED Basics (Naked 2, Faint and Crave) for brows
Benefit Speed Brow
Chanel Le Blanc Whitening Concealer
Urban Decay NAKED Basics (Venus and Foxy) for lids
Make Up For Ever Aqua Shadow in 8E Matte Green
Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in 0L
Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in 24L
Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow in Jade (from limited edition Bobbi Brights Eye Palette)
Lancôme Le Crayon Khôl in 010 Blanc
YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Waterproof
Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara in Black
Ardell False Eyelashes in 109 Black
Shiseido Luminizing Satin Face Color in WT 905
Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Soft Duo Bronzer in 03 Amber Bronze Medium
Shiseido Benefiance Full Correction Lip Treatment
Tom Ford Lip Color in 07 Pink Dusk
Lunasol Full Glamour Liquid Lips in EX01 Clear Beige
Rescue Beauty Lounge Jack