I have always adored vintage looks because they are so timeless – an era we still admire and often refer back to today. I was so excited when Lilit proposed this month’s theme. This month, Femme Boulevard brings you Vintage With A Modern Twist.
To me, a vintage look is not only timeless but also very glamorous. It’s a time where ladies go all out to dress up, from head to toe. Every vintage inspired look is red carpet worthy and there are a few modern interpretations to this theme, think Dita Von Teese, Scarlett Johansson and Lana Del Rey – big hair, waves, winged eyeliners, full lips be it red or nude, the list goes on.
Here’s my take, hope you like it.
Flawless is key. If we look back at pictures of those old, Hollywood stars, their skin is immaculately smooth, clean and polished.
To avoid looking completely matte and flat, I have chosen Diorskin Radiant Base to add a subtle touch of radiance prior to applying a foundation that has medium to full coverage, in this case, Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup.
To set, I used Diorskin Forever Extreme Wear & Oil Control Matte Powder Makeup over my T-zone and cheeks with a powder brush.
I chose a set of complimentary colours which are all matte in finish; to shape and add definition to my eyes. The colours I have here are quite natural, nothing over-the-top but of course, you can always use darker shades to add more drama to the eyes, especially if you are going for a pair of nude lips.
- Prep lids with NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base.
- Apply Inglot Eyeshadow in M330 (matte beige) under brows to highlight brow bones – use a shade that’s 1-2 tones lighter than your skin colour.
- Apply Inglot Eyeshadow in M341 (matte peach) all over lids as a base – pick a light and brightening shade to compliment the next step.
- Use a pencil brush to apply Inglot Eyeshadow in M342 over outer corners of the eyes and along the crease.
- Use a blending brush to soften crease colour with Inglot Eyeshadow in M357.
- Tight line with a black eye pencil.
- Use a black liquid eyeliner to draw on the winged eyeliner – you can also use gel eyeliner, whichever you are more comfortable with.
- Line lower water line with a skin tone eyeliner, I am using Chanel Le Crayon Khôl Intense Eye Pencil in 69 Clair.
- Line 1/4 of lower lash line with a black eyeliner and blend with Inglot Eyeshadow in M357.
- Apply mascara and put on false eyelashes.
For contouring, I have chosen to use Chanel Ombre Contraste in Notorious – I wanted something define yet nothing too bronze. Pick a blush with a similar undertone to the lipstick you are going to wear. I went for something subtle and Chanel Joues Contraste in 60 Rose Temptation is just perfect.
Instead of bright matte lips, I went for Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Lip Color in Bloodroses, a deep dark red. For that extra modern touch, I layered Shu Uemura Gloss Unlimited Lipgloss in RD20C. This gloss helps to smooth out all the fine lines on my lips and brighten the lipstick hue.
Click on the images below to enlarge.
I would wear this look together with a black lace and sequins dress. Simple accessories like pearl or diamond earrings to match. Don’t forget your fingertips, I think YSL 6 Rouge Dada matches this whole look nicely.
This look wouldn’t have been possible to achieve without getting my hair styled at PREP. Special thanks to Maurice for creating such a gorgeous and elegant up-do for me. He’s so friendly and gentle with the pins – he kept asking to ensure the pins he put on didn’t hurt.
Thank you for looking.
Diorskin Radiant Base Skin-Pefining Pro Lighting Makeup Base in 001
Diorskin Forever Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear Makeup
Diorskin Forever Extreme Wear & Oil Control Matte Powder Makeup
Inglot Eyeshadow in M342 (for brows)
Benefit Speed Brow
Diorskin Nude Skin Perfecting Hydrating Concealer
NARS Light Reflecting Setting Powder – Pressed
NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
Inglot Eyeshadow in M330, M341, M342 and M357
Chanel Le Crayon Khôl Intense Eye Pencil in 69 Clair
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion
Ettusais Liquid Eyeliner WP
Urban Decay Supercurl Curling Mascara
Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara in 01 Black
Dolly Wink False Eyelashes in No.4 Feminine Style
Chanel Ombre Contraste in Notorious
Chanel Joues Contraste in 60 Rose Temptation
By Terry Baume de Rose
Kevyn Aucoin The Expert Lip Color in Bloodroses (thanks Mag)
Shu Uemura Gloss Unlimited Lipgloss in RD20C
YSL 6 Rouge Dada